Monday, September 05, 2011
One of the things on my to-do list is to build up my freezer meal stash since I'm almost out. I love being able to take something out of the freezer, defrost it, stick it in the oven, and that's dinner.
For us, we alternate freezer meals with regular or crockpot meals, because we do like a good variety and there are some things (roast beef, roast chicken, and lasagna) that must be made in the crockpot. And I love freezer meals that can be made in batches or from leftovers.
However, every time I go to look for freezer ideas, I have to dig out my own favorites, so I finally decided to stick them all into one post for my own reference (and yours too).
***Side note, for *ME*, my actual freezer meal definition is food that involves no more work at all on my part, just warming up--no cooking more meat, no preparing sides, no assembly, etc.***
1. Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas - leftover shredded chicken, fresh tortillas, cheese, sour cream and green enchilada sauce
2. Beef Enchiladas - ground beef and red enchilada sauce instead
3. Beef & Bean Burritos - new addition to my freezer repetoire, freeze individually wrapped for lunches or dinners
4. Chicken Pot Pie - no special recipes, pie crusts, leftover shredded chicken, mixed veggies and gravy, so easy! Easy to switch to turkey or beef too.
5. Ham & Cheese Quiche - one of the kids' favorites and also good for a last minute breakfast
6. Roast Beef Casserole - leftover roast, potatoes, veggies if you want them, in a creamy gravy
7. Breakfast for Dinner Casserole - again, no special recipe; shredded hashbrowns, cooked sausage or bacon, egg, and cheese on top
8. Shepherd's Pie - probably more of a mock shepherd's pie that is kind of comfort food; cooked ground beef, drained, mixed with canned vegetable soup and topped with leftover mashed potatoes
9. BBQ Pizza - made from leftover shredded BBQ pork! I coat the pizza crust with BBQ sauce instead of red sauce, then top with shredded pork, shredded cheese, onion, etc, and freeze. It's a completely different flavor than regular pizza, so it makes for nice variety!
10. Soup - it sounds simple, but I must have several containers of soup in my freezer at any given point in time; Shaun's favorite is a classic chicken soup, the kids love minestrone and my favorite is split pea, and those are just the faves! Perfect to have just for lunch or with sandwiches or burgers for a quick dinner.